About Us --- Street Harassment Basics --- Send Us Your Story
Send your story to svaw.aims@gmail.com or SMS it to 726-8844

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Case #5

One Thursday morning, I had to go to a travel agency located at La Rue John Kennedy in Port-Louis. I felt it would be safer for me to park my car at Le Caudan Waterfront and to walk down through the “underground” so as to get to La Rue John Kennedy. It was around 11:30 a.m.

I nearly reached the entrance of the “underground” when I noticed a man, aged about 30 who was looking intensely at me. He was wearing some formal pants and a long sleeve shirt. I glanced and continued my way down the “underground” which was very crowded. That same man passed me by and turned back to look me in the eyes. I acted like I didn’t notice and looked the other side and eventually looked down. But then, I couldn’t keep looking down for too long since I would be getting in the way of all other people passing by. I looked up again and noticed the man still walking in front of me and looking back to me several times. I still acted like I didn’t notice him. I reached a security officer and thought for a few seconds about what I should do. I looked up and didn’t see the man anymore. I figured he would have gotten out of the “underground” and continued his way. I felt safer after waiting for a few minutes before leaving the “underground”.

I finally got out of the “underground”… He was right there, at the corner. I anyway continued my way towards the entrance of the building in which the travel agency was situated. I got in and didn’t directly go to the travel agency. Instead I went to the lifts. The man had entered the same building I was in. this time, it was all clear. He was following me! I stood in front of the lifts for five minutes still thinking that I was wrong and that this man was just going his own way and had nothing to do with me.

He didn't get in the lift neither. He came closer to me while I moved towards the entrance of some other office (there are several offices in that building). He finally came and spoke to me asking me if I was waiting for someone. I somehow got the strength to confront him, though I was dead scared of what he could do to me. I asked him why he has been following me. He replied that he wants to talk to me about so many things happening in his life! Freak! Luckily I had noticed another security officer and told him that if he didn’t leave me alone, I would either call the security officer or go to the police station nearby. He had the nerve to ask me why I was reacting this way! I then took some steps towards the security officer and he realized I was seriously going to take some actions against him… and he left.

I spoke to the security officer and told him what happened. He went after the man who had been following me but the freak was gone already. I broke down and started to cry bitterly at that moment. I had been so terrified! I managed to call my father who luckily was around the city at that same time. I was just unable to do whatever I had to do at the travel agency.

From that day onwards, I never walk long distances alone and whenever I have something to do, I manage to park my car somewhere very close to the place I’m going to. I really do not feel safe at all walking the streets even during the day time and even while having many people around.

-Chris, Female, 26 years, Social Worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment